So last week Mason was able to pick up a couple of extra shifts and worked almost every day. We decided then to switch our date night from Friday (a day he worked) to Wednesday (a day that he didn't) which happened to be St. Patrick's Day. Mason did have class that night but he skipped it so that we could have a night together.
Well Mason has been wanting to go to the Utah Museum of Fine Arts for awhile and on Wednesday they are open late, so we decided to go there. I hadn't been to the museum since high school and I was shocked to find how much it had changed.
We missed their Native American exhibit sadly as they were putting in a new exhibit and had some areas blocked off, but upstairs they did have a small section that had Native American artifacts. Like this mask.
Which changed to this as you walked by.
It gave me quite a scare as I walked by because I wasn't expecting a face to be there, haha!
They also had a Pacific Islander section. I really liked this guy riding an alligator/crocodile. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the whole length of the alligator/crocodile, recalling from my horrible memory I think it was probably about 8 ft long.
In the Japanese section they had this authentic Samari outfit. You could see bullet imprints, really cool and scary to think about.
I noticed as we were exiting that they had these Chinese/Japenese sculptures of dragons. I thought they were cool and got a picture of Mason with them. I also tried to take an upclose picture of one of them, but I was unsuccessful so you'll have to go see it for yourself.
The museum was really fun! Mason and I are planning on going back soon so that we can see the next exhibit (we were told it would be a Mexican exhibit). Also it will be good to have more time there (we only had one hour).
Afterwards we went to Jamba Juice, yum! The guy working there asked Mason and I how St Patrick's day started. We sort of mumbled that we didn't know all of the details. Mason started talking a bit about St Patrick and was telling the guy how St Patrick related the three leaf clover to the Godhead or Trinity, when the guy asked us what the Godhead was. To say the least we were shocked, but Mason explained that the Godhead was made up of God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Later while we were waiting for our smoothies Mason texted one of his friends for a more complete story of St Patrick, since his friend went to Ireland on his mission. For a more info on St Patrick you can read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick and scroll down to the section called "In Legend."
Oh and I don't want to forget to mention that I actually wore green that day, amazing I know. You can't tell in the picture below, but I am wearing a green ribbon in my hair. The ribbon came from these flowers that Mason bought me the other week. If Mason hadn't bought me flowers, I would have had nothing green to wear that day (except for my GIR sweatshirt which is green, but not work appropriate).


No comments:
Post a Comment