So I forgot some things in my last update about Ava. Fun pregnancy brain. I wondered if I should wait and see if I remembered anything more, but I went ahead and published it. Of course the next day I remembered some things.
So with Ava learning colors has been a long process. At first Ava didn't care at all and then she started getting annoyed and eventually mad if I tried to ask her about the colors of certain things. But all of sudden, a few weeks ago, she started liking colors. It started one day as my mom told Ava that the sweater I was wearing was yellow. Ava repeated "yellow" over and over. It's pretty cute how she says it too. I have no idea how to write it. Maybe "yel-low," a long emphasis on the "low" part. Then a few days later I was eating skittles and Ava wanted some of course. I made her repeat the colors after me and she would get that color. It was a great success. She learned red and green and became a pro at yellow. She struggled with purple and orange. She would say red for purple and yellow for orange. We have been working on those colors and she is getting better, especially with orange. But she seems to not be as good with green anymore. Anyways we have a great book from the library that she likes to practice with and it has been fun to see her get better.
With numbers, Ava is obsessed with the number 2. Early on she learned the number. I tried to teach her to say 1 when asked how old she was but she would always say 2. Well back in June we went to visit David and Melody. I asked Laila how old she was and Laila responded 2. Then I asked Ava and Ava also said 2 while holding up 1 finger. Laila got upset with Ava and told her that she (Laila) was 2 and that Ava was 1. Ava took the message to heart because then Ava started responding with 1. After a few months though Ava was back to saying 2 for her age.
I have tried to teach Ava to count to 3 but we seem to get stuck on 2. Conversation usually goes like this.
Me: "1"
Ava and me: "2"
Me: "3"
Ava: "2!!! 1, 2, 1, 2!!!"
We seem to be starting to hit a breakthrough lately though because Ava has been repeating 3, 4, and 5. Before she refused to even say these numbers. Hopefully Ava will be counting to 10 soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment