Anyways I thought that I would give a little review but try not to give any spoilers. Try not to. If you want you can read this post after you see the movie so it won't ruin anything.
Now it has been years since I have read the book, so I don't remember all the details. If I had read it recently maybe my thoughts would have been different. I might read it again soon, so maybe then I'll have a different take on the movie but I hope not. I realize that books and movies can serve in different ways. In the case of the movie Ender's Game, you are taken on a fast-paced wild ride. Visually I thought that Ender's Game was amazing. Battle school was what I expected it to be, but the battle room at the command school was so cool. It puts my ideas of it to shame. Somethings might not be totally believable, but it is crazy how much is in the book and the book was written in the 80's. Crazy! And it is set in the future and I'm sure what we have in the future will surprise us.
Now since the movie was crammed into 2 hours there are some drawbacks. They cut back a ton. Like basically everything they could. I would have liked to see more of Bean, Dink, and Alai. I understand that they didn't have much time so they cut a lot of those characters back and focused on Petra. One thing though, Ender's Game is a very emotional book and I realize that it is hard to carry that over into a movie. I think they did a great job in trying to get across Ender's thoughts and feeling. However, the battle school part is so short, I would have liked to see at least a scene or two more. I think that while that might have not matched the fast pace of the movie, I think that it would have added more depth to Ender on screen. Also I read that every 3 seconds of the battle room scenes costs $100,000, so that is why they didn't have much.
I thought that though Peter and Valentine had very little screen time, they still had quite the presence, so I wouldn't have changed anything there. I didn't mind any of the changes that they did in the movie. I felt the movie was still true to the story.
I am curious to know what someone thinks that hasn't read the book. Would they understand it all? My brain just seemed to be immersed in the movie and filled in all the gaps.
Anyways I really enjoyed the movie and will definitely be purchasing it. I really hope I can see it again in theaters. Oh I almost forgot to mention, we saw this movie in the IMAX. It was cool to see it on the big screen, but is it just me or does the sound always seem wrong in the IMAX? Anyways I would like to see it again in a regular theater so I can see if I thought the sound and music was good.
To sum up, I was so happy to see Ender's Game finally as a movie. I think that it has a lot to offer and while it can't showcase the whole book, it was still really good. And hey, I still have the book for all the awesomeness. I think that they work great together and the movie did offer some things that the book couldn't. Like seeing all the action and I love action movies. I wouldn't mind though an extended version for the DVD release or at least some extra scenes.
I thought that the actors were perfect for their rolls and did a great job. Definitely no complaints there.
Anyways I was hoping to make this review short. Maybe Mason can find ways to shorten it. How about: movie was awesome, just wish there was more. Yeah I like that.


No comments:
Post a Comment