Friday, August 28, 2015

Milen's Blessing

We had a hard time figuring out when to do Milen's blessing. We narrowed it down to June or July. Finally we decided we would do his blessing on Father's Day. What is more perfect than a father blessing his son on Father's Day? We knew that it was the right day.

Before we decided on the date, we decided on the outfit. Originally I picked out a traditional white blessing outfit. We went to the store and I was disappointed. Not only did they not have the outfit but the other similar blessing outfits were missing pants or were yellowed. Basically they looked terrible. I had no idea what to do.

In the few weeks before I had Milen, my mom and I went to the mall and were just looking for boy clothes in general when we came across a cute grey vest. My mom got the idea that we should bless Milen in that vest along with it's matching white onesie. I hadn't planned on going non-traditional but I really liked the vest. I agreed. Mason had already purchased a white bowtie from a boutique and I thought it would work great with the vest. I love bowties because of Doctor Who (Matt Smith is my favorite doctor by far) and knew that I wanted a bowtie, not just a regular tie, for Milen's blessing.

I thought that since we were going non-traditional I might as well add some color. Mason is known in our ward for wearing bright, colorful outfits to church. It's funny when he wears normal church attire, people ask him why he isn't wearing something colorful. I thought green shoes would be great because Mason's favorite color is green. First I was thinking of getting some moccs because it would be easy to find the right shade, but Mason's didn't like them. I searched online and in the stores for that perfect green shoe that I knew Mason would like as well. I'm happy to say that I found them. I came across green baby Converse shoes. There were different versions but I like this one the best. I had bought Mason the exact adult version for his birthday last year. I meant to get a picture of them both wearing the matching shoes but it never happened. I guess I could still take that picture sometime though.

Searching online I found they had some at the stores but they were expensive.  We ended up purchasing the shoes on ebay, but we ordered them late. I was so worried they wouldn't come in time because they were being shipped from China and it had stated a long shipping date.

Luckily they came just in time. So relieved.



When I decided on green shoes, I needed some shorts. I decided on shorts because I knew it would be hot in June and thought it would be better than long pants in the heat. I picked navy blue for the color of the shorts.

A huge concern of mine was how fast Milen was growing. I bought the vest and onesie while I was still pregnant and I had no idea that he would grow that quickly. I just assumed he would grow the same as Ava. I tried on the whole outfit on Milen about a week before the blessing so I could run to the store just in case to repurchase anything that didn't fit. Luckily it fit. Just barely.  Luckily the onesie was stretchy and the vest worked for our chubby guy. If we had waited until July we probably would have been in trouble.

My sister-in-law Kristen also sent me a white traditional blessing outfit that she had just in case we needed it. I figured a backup couldn't hurt.

Milen's outfit was one thing. Mine was another. I wanted to wear a white dress. Don't ask me why, but that's what I wanted. A white, lace one. I thought I found the perfect one. We went to the mall and I was disappoint to find they didn't order it at that location. I ordered it online. When it came I tried it on and it was all wrong. It was not the one.

I had a backup plan, however. I purchased a blue shirt that I really liked when I bought the dress. I figured it would work with the lace skirt that I already had. I tried it on and it worked so much better.

The morning of the blessing we woke up early. Well I woke up first and then woke everyone else up later. I had Mason dress Ava in one of my favorite dresses for her while I got Milen ready. We had a problem. Problem was Ava hadn't worn the dress I picked out for a year and I had no idea it was so short. If I had known I would have put her in something else. Some leggings would have worked too. Mason put her in the stroller so I didn't notice until I was taking her out of the stroller when we arrived at church. We didn't have enough time to run home. So we just had to wait until we got home to throw some leggings on her.

My brother-in-law Rob took these pictures.




Mason gave a wonderful blessing. I really thought that the things he blessed Milen with really fit our boy. Milen is such a sweet, easy-going guy.

We didn't have much family come. Nothing like when Ava was blessed. Most of my family couldn't make it.




Ava was extra cranky for being woken up early. Poor girl didn't even get to go to nursery and she loves nursery.



Milen with his Aunt Percie. They were matching, haha!



We walked home and had our luncheon. The kids immediately went to play. I tried to hurry and get a family picture. Ava told me she was tired and wouldn't leave her bed. Milen was hungry and wasn't happy about having to wait.

We decided that Mason looked like a missionary, haha!



This boy drools and spits up like no other. I had kept him clean by wearing a bibdana before the blessing. He was good until just before this picture.


Not happy one bit.





After we got a quick picture, I ran off to direct orders on the luncheon and then to go nurse Milen.

We enjoyed visiting with family and friends, but it was nice when everyone went home and we could relax and enjoy Father's Day together.

Later in the evening I was able to get a few pictures of Milen. My sister-in-law Kim made him a white blanket for his blessing.



Later that night Mason got to enjoy one of his Father's Day gifts. I got him tools, haha! But actually we really needed our own drill set because borrowing multiple peoples' drills just wasn't working anymore. Don't worry though I also gave him something fun. I got him Guardians of the Galaxy. We enjoyed watching it together that night. It was a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment