Sunday, October 18, 2015

Mason's Half Marathon

So for Mason's work he had to run a half marathon. He trained a bit with some friends in the neighborhood a couple of nights here or there, but he didn't get as much training as they recommended. He had to work late the night before. So we decided that I would take the kids to my mom's that night so that Mason could head straight to bed when he got home for work. He had to be up at 3:00 AM to drive to Provo to catch a bus that would take him up the canyon. It worked out that my dad was gone for the weekend for a youth camp, so my mom and I could have a girls night. 

We picked to go out for Chinese food.


I put the kids to bed and then I stayed up doing things like painting my nails and watching shows. It became so late that I decided to stay up a little longer so I could call Mason and make sure he made it to Provo in time.

Mason is a deep sleeper. Not like me. I'm a light sleeper. He falls asleep so fast and I take forever to fall asleep. Anyways I always tell him how impossible it is to wake him up. I literally will shake him and he won't wake up. So I was pretty worried. When it came time for him to wake up, I texted him. I didn't get a response, so I texted again. And again. And again. I started to get a bit worried, so I called. And I called a few more times. I decided that maybe he was driving and couldn't respond. I was about ready to go to bed when I decided to try again. I called. No response. I texted again.

It is lucky that I texted that last time, because Mason finally woke up to a chime. He threw on his clothes, grabbed his bag, and drove like a mad man to Provo.

Finally I got a text from him. He said that he got to the bus just in time and was headed up the canyon. He chatted a bit until he lost reception. I tried to get some sleep, but it didn't happen. I downloaded an app that let me keep track of Mason and his progress. It also let me send cheers to Mason as he was running the race. It was really cool. My only complaint was that it only let you send so many cheers and I didn't know that, so Mason only got cheers from us for the first half of his race. But he had reception before that point so we were able to send texts back and forth.




Ava woke up. She loved a cheer that was about bananas. She requested a banana to eat for breakfast.


We went outside for a bit when the sun started coming up.





Mason took a slow pace since it was his first race and he hadn't trained much. He average just under 13 minutes per mile. He finished before 9 AM.







Ava had me read some books for her and then she fell asleep. Once Mason finished his race, I called and talked to him for awhile and then went to bed myself.


Mason stayed around for a bit. Got a free Jamba Juice. He waited in a long line for a massage. He ended up getting a chiropractor that offered some advice, but not really a massage. So he was a bit disappointed.

He finally came home in the afternoon and then took a long nap at my parents.

So proud of this guy.


We are doing a 5k walk with the kids in September. It should be a lot easier than Mason's half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment